birding-aus

BOCA CDs and bird name pronunciations

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: BOCA CDs and bird name pronunciations
From: L&L Knight <>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 17:16:59 +1000
Feel free to call it a cis-ta-cola if you like Peter.
You would be consistent with the suggested pronunciation in the Macquarie Dictionary and the cis-tic-ola mob will know what you are talking about.

Regards, Laurie.

From: "Peter Shute" <>To: "Birding-Aus" <> Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2007 10:02 AM Subject: [Birding-Aus] BOCA CDs and bird name pronunciations

  I've just got a copy of the BOCA birdsong CD's. All safely ripped and
  sitting on my phone now.

One thing I didn't expect to learn from them is bird name pronunciation,
  from the announcements at the start of each track.  I can only assume
  that these pronunciations have been researched and are correct.  Can
  anyone confirm that's true?

  I saw my first Golden-headed Cisticola a few days ago, and I've been
  telling people I saw something that rhymes with Coca-cola, but the CD
  says sis-tickler.  Is that how everyone else says it?

  Peter Shute