birding-aus

Potential for 2ndary poisoning of ravens eating poisoned rats?

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Potential for 2ndary poisoning of ravens eating poisoned rats?
From: "Wendy" <>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 09:20:57 +1000
Hi All,
Can anyone tell me if ravens are susceptible to secondary poisoning if they eat
'block' poisoned rats?

I have been delighted to observe the increased adaptation to (inner, VERY)
urban living (Coburg, Melbourne and elsewhere) by the local Little Ravens over
the past 5-10 years. There is now a breeding population at the local (Coburg)
Shopping Centre and also in the vicinity of my house. They share some of my
hen's eggs with me and also eat carrion (cat killed bunnies, no targeted
feeding)

I have a problem with rats. Last year they ate all the green nectarines off one
of my trees, quinces from another, hollowed out most mandarins on the tree -
now they are eating the bark from the branches of the mandarin!!!!! -
Bas.....'s!!!!
I used block poisons to eradicate those living in my house ceiling, hoping they
would mostly die within/under the house, but another group lives in the
neighbours garden/garage and my carport and invades my yard. I am nervous about
poisoning these (very carefully with tied down blocks inside pipes in rafters)
as I consider there is a greater likelihood of them dying in the open and being
found by the Ravens (chooks are happy to eat carrion too but have 'a thing'
about rats). Also all bordering neighbours have dogs.
I have used traps in the past but fear there is also a risk to ravens with
these as they are becoming quite bold, AND the traps don't kill most of the
rats and I have to deal with an angry suspended rats (traps are tied on rafters
to avoid pet chooks/rabbits/duck gaining access) which is not easy!

Does anyone have expert knowledge on the secondary poisoning risk?
I have been told that the newer poison breaks down in the rats body? Is this
true?
Wendy