birding-aus

RFI - how do you deal with swooping lapwings?

To: "Trevor Hampel" <>
Subject: RFI - how do you deal with swooping lapwings?
From: "Chris Sanderson" <>
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2007 18:39:56 +1000
Hi Trevor,

Lapwings usually don't hit people, if they do it's by accident.  After all,
would you deliberately run into something that much larger than you?  I've
always found that two things help with Lapwings.  The first is to always
face them.  They seem highly reluctant to dive if they can see your face.
The second is to skirt the nest area as much as possible.  If the nest is on
one side of the street, cross on the other.  If they're crossing a field to
get to the road, go along the outside of the field.  Lying down is probably
the worst thing you could do - the Lapwing is trying to get rid of you, if
you lie down it probably things you're trying to hide so you can get closer
to the nest.

So my reccommendation boils down to them trying to stay as far away from the
nest as possible, move quickly through the area, and face the Lapwing when
it is trying to make a dive at you.

Another thing you can tell the lady is why they do it (if she doesn't
already know).  Cats, dogs and people are responsible for a lot of egg
crushing or chick deaths and the birds are just trying to protect their
babies.  I had a pair in my local park in Brisbane that hadn't successfully
bred in the 5 years I monitored them.  They had eggs at least twice every
year.  On at least one occasion I caught local kids picking up the eggs and
running away laughing.  They didn't laugh so much when I told them they
probably just killed two living creatures.

Regards,
Chris