birding-aus

Uralla Lagoons

Subject: Uralla Lagoons
From: John Clifton-Everest <>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 17:36:44 +1000
Yesterday I visited the two lagoons at Uralla (NSW) to see what
positive effect the recent rainfall has had on water levels.  It was
the first chance I have had to go there since returning from overseas.
While there are still relatively few birds around, there is much more
water in both places that there has been for at least 18 months.  The
lagoons are still far from full, of course, but things now look much
more promising for the summer. I inspected one of the major inlets at
Dangars, and water was flowing in steadily.

Dangars Lagoon once more has a population of Coots and Hoary-headed
Grebes (there were none at all on my last visit) and there were quite
large flocks of Grey Teal and Hardheads, with a sprinkling of Black
Duck, about 20 Shoveler and just two Pink-eared Ducks.  The only
raptors were a couple of Kestrels, but the spring may see the return
of the usual Swamp Harriers and Whistling Kites.

Racecourse Lagoon has something like 10-15% open water now, and there
were an estimated 400 Ibis feeding round the swampy margins,
Australian and Straw-necked in about equal proportions.  There were
also about 200 ducks, mainly Grey Teal with a smattering of Black Duck
and Shoveler among them.  Let's hope there is more rain and that the
Whiskered Terns will return to breed there this spring.
John Clifton-Everest