birding-aus

ostriches in australia

To: "'michael hunter'" <>, <>
Subject: ostriches in australia
From: "Gregory Little" <>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 14:18:58 +1000
Michael

In 1977 a friend and I were shooting rabbits along the road north of
Port Augusta to Hawker at the base of the Flinders Ranges, South
Australia. We did come across a flock of about twenty Ostriches. They
were very unusual after seeing Emus everywhere else. I think we shot
one. They were feral and not in a properly fenced yard. Soon after I
found out that they were worth, at that time, something stupid like
$35,000 per pair. Don't know if they are still there or not.

Greg Little