birding-aus

Pelagic trips

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Pelagic trips
From: "Jim and Sonia O'Shea" <>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 14:04:18 +1000
Hi birders.

Edwin Vella wrote amongst other things on 22nd August 2007:

PS -  It is great when you can see these birds from land and get good to
excellant views from time to time. Do you really need to go on a pelagic trip!!!

There are many reasons why all birders should go on a pelagic trip.

New birders in particular generally don't have scopes, nor would they have the
experience to identify Seabirds as a speck in the ocean, some Kilometres out to
sea.

All the Pelagic trips I have been on, have had experts on board to assist with
Identification.

You can enjoy good close up views most of the time, of Storm petrels, Dolphins,
Whales, Seals etc. Of course there are excellent views, when the birds are at
the back of the boat, and you can hear their calls, as they squabble over the
available food.

On the Wollongong pelagic trips, you can watch as the birds are caught, banded,
have various measurements taken, and recorded, knowing that all this
information is helping towards our further understanding of these magnificent
creatures.

Wonderful photo opportunities are availble of birds in the water, in hand on
the boat, and flying around the boat.

You can meet overseas birders, swap stories, and enjoy with them their first
views of Albatross, petrels and shearwaters etc.

In short, we should support the various groups that regularly go to sea from
Southport,Newcastle,Sydney,Wollongong,Eden and Port fairy, so that future
birders can experience the joys of being out on the Continental shelves of the
East and South coasts of Australia.

Jim O'Shea

Pelagic tragic