birding-aus

Scaly-breasted Lorikeet at Ocean Grove Nature Reserve

To: <>
Subject: Scaly-breasted Lorikeet at Ocean Grove Nature Reserve
From: "Paul Dodd" <>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 00:29:51 +1000
Hi everyone,

Well we seem to have done it again and spotted a parrot outside its normal
range. We encountered a couple of Rainbow Lorikeets on the Western Track at
the Ocean Grove Nature Reserve South West of Melbourne, which is slightly
unusual (however, we have seen them several km to the north at Drysdale in
the past). Much more interesting though was a single Scaly-breasted Lorikeet
with what appeared to be some form of hybrid between Scaly-breasted and
Rainbow. The Scaly-breasted Lorikeet was unmistakeable with its green
colouration, red bill and yellow mottled breast. The hybrid was quite
unusual in that it was basically green with the yellow mottled breast, but
had a purple and red head.

According to P+K 7th Edition, there are colonies of Scaly-breasted Lorikeets
around Melbourne, so I imagine that it’s possible for them to exist at Ocean
Grove. Also, they say they interbreed with other Lorikeets forming hybrids
quite readily.

Anyway, I posted a picture of the Scaly-breasted to Birdline Vic, if anyone
is interested.

Paul Dodd & Ruth Woodrow
Victoria

Checked by AVG Free Edition.