birding-aus

Whats in a name

To: "Denise Goodfellow" <>, "Dave Torr" <>
Subject: Whats in a name
From: "Greg" <>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 19:10:40 +1000
Re: [Birding-Aus] Whats in a nameHi Denise,

The continuation of the use of local indigenous names is very important and to
use the official name and the indigenous name is a great idea.  Other
alternative common (English) names are also of interest, especially in an
historical sense.  However the Kunwinjku names would not be appropriate down
here in Bundjalung country so we need an official common name that is broadly
applicable.

It would be good for field guides to have the indigenous names listed, with the
areas in which they apply, alongside the common name.  Most guides have
alternative common names and this adds interest to the study of our birds.

Regards

Greg Clancy

From: Denise Goodfellow
  Subject: Re: [Birding-Aus] Whats in a name

  Yes, I realise that.  But many birders such as the Americans I guide
generally enjoy knowing about the Aboriginal side of thing.  So in "Birds of
Australia's Top End" I give the official names plus alternatives and Kunwinjku.
  Denise