birding-aus

What is in a name?

Subject: What is in a name?
From: brian fleming <>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 20:31:07 +1000
The word 'Hobby', meaning a pastime or enthusiasm, derives from the obsolete sense of a small road-horse - related to the morris-dancer's and the child's hobby-horse. In "Black Beauty" the kindly Squire, after reproving a neighbour for his treatment of carriage-horses, says "Now I've given my hobby a good trot-out; won't you try him?", meaning "give my system a go".

Apparently the bird has been called 'hobby' since the 1500s. The French word for the bird, hobelar or hobereau, has at times been connected to a similar obsolete word 'hober' meaning to hover, but I believe this is now discounted. No, I have just checked W.B. Lockwoods's 'Dictionary of British Bird Names' (1993), who says 'hober' means to jump about, referring to the bird's well-known agility. A book on falconry (can't recall title or author) said that Hobbies offer fine sport if flown at Skylarks....if you like that sort of thing.. Certainly the Australian Hobby is a very fine dashing raptor and always worth watching. Pity we never see them around Heidelberg any more these days.

Anthea Fleming