birding-aus

Agnes Banks (W Sydney)

To: <>
Subject: Agnes Banks (W Sydney)
From: "Gordon and Pam Cain" <>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 18:41:27 +1000
Dear Birders -

Yesterday my family and I visited the area at the new bridge at Agnes Banks,
and went for a walk up the river (heading south). Where there was formerly
very dense bush, the council has gone in and cleared a nice pathway.
Apparently it was work to get rid of the willows.

I must have walked close to a mile (old school!) before things petered out
and I had to go back. Anyway, it is now a nice walk, though I think it will
grow back over as soon as rain and warm weather hit again. I saw a nice
variety of birds, including golden whistler, royal spoonbill, great egret,
bulbul (the only variety in Sydney), cattle egrets, coots, superb fairy
wrens, and heard at least one thing I've no idea what it was. I' sure a more
experienced birder, or a birder at the right time of day, could find more
interesting birds there. Also saw the tail of one kangaroo or wallaby as it
headed behind a bush.

This is a nice area that hasn't to my knowledge been that accessible in
recent times. Looking at the map, it appears one could walk all the way
around the lagoon that is there, if public access is permitted on the
western bank. I have  always thought the lagoon was a part of the river, but
the map shows otherwise.

Now to early spring may be a nice time to go observing there. After that I
imagine it will be overgrown again.

Regards

Gordon in Schofields (Blacktown)

NW Sydney