birding-aus

Update on my Satin Bower-bird

To: "" <>
Subject: Update on my Satin Bower-bird
From: Penny Brockman <>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 18:29:29 +1000
Dear all

Since my last posting on 8 July about this young male Satin Bowerbird, he had made quite a bit of progress with a bower. It is set only 50cm from the front garden fence, on a north-south axis with the blue treasures scattered around on the southern flattened area, half under the cover of a gravillea bush and the Pincushion hakea. There is a tremendous amount of activity each morning and on and off during the day, whirring and churring and dancing to visiting green birds (females?) - crouching, wing flicking, sometimes both wings, sometimes only one, bobbing up and down with lowered head and then hopping around the bower with the female today inside the bower briefly. I've yet to see any consummation. He constantly brings in new sticks and I've watched him in the gum trees at the back garden trying to break off twigs in the top canopy.

When he's not present, other greenies visit and remove blue objects, pick at the bower sticks and upset things. Then he's back, whirring and churring, chasing them off and retrieving the blue treasures. The resemblance to a clockwork toy reminds me of those dangerous wind-up tin toys we had as children, usually made in Japan, and now worth a small fortune if in pristine condition.

One visiting green bird was missing an eye but seemed to manage perfectly well with one.