birding-aus

Maroubra sea watch, 19/7/07

To: <>
Subject: Maroubra sea watch, 19/7/07
From: "Troy Mutton" <>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 15:14:57 +1000
Hi all,

With a southerly coming through around lunch, I thought I'd take advantage of
flexi-time and have the afternoon off to head over to Mistral Point, Maroubra
(NSW) for a quick sea watch. I've been as sick as a dog for the past 2 weeks
with flu, so only lasted about an hour. The winds were blowing Black-browed
Albatross in close enough that you could easily make out their brows with a
pair of bins, and my totally not fantastic camera was able to take some shots
of them - closest I've experienced. After I'd had enough, I had a quick check
at the southern end of the beach to see what was sheltering there. Birds seen
were:

Black-browed Albatross - about 20
Yellow-nosed Albatross - 2
Aust. Gannet - 4
Fluttering Shearwater - 20-30
White-fronted Tern - 1
Eastern Reef Egret - 1 dark morph at the southern end of Maroubra
Peregrine Falcon - 1
Silver Gulls - plenty struggling with the winds and sheltering at the southern
end of the beach
Crested Tern - as above
a few miscellaneous petrel-ey looking things zooming past about a foot off the
water that I wasn't able to ID, which was a shame, as I hadn't seen anything
like one of them.
and the usual wattlebirds, New Holland Honeyeaters, starlings, sparrows,
pigeons etc.

Cheers
Troy