birding-aus

First Trip to Australia

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: First Trip to Australia
From: Carl Billingham <>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 13:04:36 -0700 (PDT)
David,

I'm sure there are lots of people on Birding-Aus that will offer you assistance
but a good guide to get before you arrive is Lloyd Neilsen's
http://www.birdingaustralia.com.au/bird_aust.html  I have the local addition of
this book and it has invaluable info in it.  Even though I have travelled a lot
around Australia, I still use this book to plan where to go and stay and take
it with me on all of my trips.

Another book which is excellent for planning a trip is the Lonely Planet
'Watching Wildlife in Australia' which you could possibly get from a local book
store or order on www.lonelyplanet.com

Personally if you are flying between city centres (rather than driving around)
I would include Sydney and environs, Cairns/Daintree areas in Far North
Queensland and possibly the Gold Coast Hinterland on the NSW/Queensland border
if you feel you have the time.  That would cover temperate (NSW), tropical
species (FNQld) and sub-tropical (NSW/Qld).

If you are using a car and dont want to spend too much time flying I would do
Sydney and then drive up the coast or inland as well.  Frankly, our cities
aren't what I would specifically target if I were an overseas tourist - the
wild places are what makes this country different to any other place on the
planet.

Remember Australia is a big place with big distances so dont try to see it all
in three weeks - save some for your next visit down under!

Good luck and I hope you enjoy yourselves,

Carl Billingham
Brisbane, Australia