birding-aus

Using Wikis?

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Using Wikis?
From: "Tom Tarrant" <>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 20:31:16 +1000
Hi,

Recently I've been adding web-links to the BirdForum Opus (
http://www.birdforum.net/opus/Welcome) and realise what a fantastic resource
that it is becoming, and enjoying the ease that one can add information.
(...Apologies to 'real' birders but I'm about to embark on a rather PC-based
'geeky' rant!)
Bearing this in mind I started to investigate the possibility of creating my
own web-based collection of birding media and looked at the available
software choices. Fortunately I happened upon the del.icio.us 'Bookmarks'
website (http://del.icio.us/[/url) and set up an account and whilst
uploading links to Opus also added them to this online-database enabling
these links to be publicly available. However this site only allows
bookmarks to be organised into 'bundles'  which cannot be sub-divided so I
decided to delve further.

After extensive-investigation (...just over one day) of web-based database
solutions I suddenly realised that I am totally incompetent and came upon
this word 'Wiki' which I had encountered several times and thought to be
something like a 'Star-Wars' character. Actually it appears to be an
Hawaiian word meaning quick but is being extensively used as a repository
for information gleaned over the web. It appears that there are now masses
of software programs that support this ..and 'Open-Source' (read 'free')
programs seem to be at the forefront.

Since then I've checked out tons of software and even found a great tool
http://www.wikimatrix.org/ with a 'wizard' that compares wiki programs,
I've uploaded several to my website (and taken them off again!)  and am
currently struggling with one of the most notorious of them
all.....MediaWiki the program that is probably responsible for Wikipedia,
please, please, please......help me (...why do they make it so hard?)

If anyone can help or would like to suggest other software (..or new a
hobby!) please drop me a line, (Bob Inglis....I would love you to be
involved....can you contact me?)

Tom

--
Tom & Marie Tarrant