birding-aus

Re: Bristlebirds.

To: "Phillip Duke" <>
Subject: Re: Bristlebirds.
From: "Keith Weekes" <>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 08:30:21 +1000
From 1968?

I've lost so many brain cells to alcohol I don't think I could identify a
played back call a month later, let alone 40 years!

KW

On 05/07/07, Phillip Duke <> wrote:

As I was walking on this road, I head this exceptionally load, clear and
very strong call. There was also rustling in the leaf litter. I stood still
and waited for the bird to present itself. This very small, dark brown bird
popped out of the scrub. It had an erect tail and long legs for such a small
bird. It's strut made me feel that it was one of those old fashioned wind-up
tin toys. It saw me, let out a very load squark and flew off very low into
the scrub with rounded wing tips. That was all I saw. Nothing but the Rufus
Scrub Bird and now the Bristlebird matches my observation. If there are any
recordings of these birds' calls, I'm sure I would be able to confirm
whether my identification was accurate.