birding-aus

RFI Bowra

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: RFI Bowra
From: Carl Billingham <>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 23:13:26 -0700 (PDT)
Peter,

I did a similar trip a few weeks ago - refer my previous Birding-Aus posting.
http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/html/birding-aus/2007-06/msg00458.html

If I were you I would head via Warwick-Goondiwindi-Nindigully-St George.
Whilst the Moonie Hwy route is shorter it is a lot bumpier and pretty much
bereft of any interesting birds (There is a lot of cotton farming around St
George).

I used to take the Goondi route all the time when I was heading out on business
to Lightning Ridge even though it was a bit longer.  I found it best to stop
and take a look when ever you see flowering trees or a bit of bird activity.

Always look for raptors and in particular Grey Goshawk when coming through
Cunninghams Gap.  If you stop at the picnic grounds also look out for Bellbirds
and Glossy Black Cockatoos.

One spot that intrigues me but at which I have never stopped is on the southern
side of the road before Coolmunda Dam (about 30-40km from Karara) there is a
mass of mistletoe in the trees on the side of the road.

If you do decide to go via Toowoomba-Dalby, Laurie Knight has mentioned the
possibility of Painted Honeyeater out at the Jondaryan Golf Course which isn't
far from Oakey.  Apparently, you go a short distance south down a side road
from the Warrego Hwy - you look in the bush on the left side, opposite the
entrance to the Golf Course.

Good luck and take LOTS of winter woolies - it was very cold out there when I
was there.

Cheers,

Carl

 Yahoo!7 Mail has just got even bigger and better with unlimited storage on all
webmail accounts.