birding-aus

Canberra Trip Report

To: birding australia <>
Subject: Canberra Trip Report
From: Grant Brosie <>
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2007 15:22:48 +1000 (EST)
Everyone,

Just spent the last week in Canberra on a 'non
birding' holiday. Of course non birding for me
involved 2 days of solid birdwatching resulting in 98
species for the trip!
Whilst driving past Lake George I managed to see my
first target species for the trip, 2 Australian
Shelduck. 100+ Little Raven were also seen.
On arrival late Friday (22nd) afternoon I headed
straight for the Jerrabomberra Wetlands to see the
White-fronted Honeyeater...I failed, and was to fail
another 3 times before heading home. A flock of 50+
Dusky Woodswallow in the carpark was a highlight.
A one night stay in Batemans Bay revealed a few good
species around town and in the Murramarang NP such as
6 Eastern Curlew, 4 Sooty Oystercatcher, 1 Red-necked
Stint, 4 Double-banded Plover, 5 Red-capped Plover, 4
Caspian Tern and 3 White-bellied Sea-eagles. In the
surrounding bush we saw/heard Superb Lyrebird, Wonga
Pigeon, Fuscous Honeyeater and many White-naped
Honeyeaters.
For the next couple of days we bummed around Canberra
with the odd good bird being seen around town like
Brown Falcon and Weebill.
I had some time to myself later in the week but of
course the heavens opened and totally drowned any
decent birding until Thursday.
First stop was the Botanic Gardens where I dipped on
Powerful Owl, Crescent and White-eared Honeyeaters and
Gang-gang Cockatoo. Did see Scarlet Robin and Fuscous
Honeyeater.
Then drove across town back to the wetlands. Did a
quick stop outside the sewage treatment works and
spotted a few Tassie Silvereye, Little Eagle,
Pink-eared and Blue-billed Duck, Shoveler and
Hoary-headed Grebe.
At the wetlands, flushed a Common Bronzewing which was
a surprise. Also present was a Yellow-tufted
Honeyeater, more White-naped Honeyeater, a single
Striated Thornbill, a few Goldfinches and a
white-backed Magpie. Also saw several white-backs near
Bredbo 2 days before.
Next stop was Newline Quarry near the airport. What a
great spot!!! In roughly a hour with the help of 2
other birders (sorry I've forgotten names) I observed
Brown Treecreeper, 2 Southern Whiteface, Peaceful
Dove, 4+ Speckled Warbler, Crested Shrike-tit,
Brown-headed Honeyeater and 1 BLACK-CHINNED
HONEYEATER.
After that I headed back home very pleased with the
days / trips birding.
Thanks to everyone who provided info and to the local
birders I met in the field. It was nice bumping into
so many fellow enthusiasts.

Cheers,
Grant Brosie
Raworth, NSW

 Yahoo!7 Mail has just got even bigger and better with unlimited storage on all
webmail accounts.