birding-aus

RFI: Weipa - Iron Range

To: "Chris Sanderson" <>
Subject: RFI: Weipa - Iron Range
From: David Stowe <>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 20:05:40 +1000
Hi Chris
In Weipa make sure you visit Uningan Nature Reserve near the Settlement ponds. (Eastern side of the railway line just sth of the bridge) The settlement ponds are the supposed spot for Spotted Whistling Duck but we didn't see any last July unfortunately. BA FNQ put out a flyer on the Nature Reserve - Keith Fisher from Kingfisher Park should be able to send you one???
(Sorry to dob you in Keith!)
It is a good spot however it is very overgrown/not maintained and the track is very hard to follow so be careful. We very nearly got stuck in there due to a fire so keep a look out. We had just parked the car and started to look for the track when we heard a large 'crack' and turned to see a tree burst into flames just down the track. We got out of there in a hurry! Went back the next day and saw that the path of the fire would have taken our car had we gone on the walk. We did see Tropical Scrubwren, Fairy Gerygone, Large-billed Gerygone there. My favourite spot was a drying wetland a few hundred metres before the settlement ponds on the edge of Uningan NR where we watched (using the car as a hide) Black-necked Storks fishing and saw a family of Sarus Cranes. Not to mention Pied Herons, Radjah Shelducks, Egrets, Whistling Kites etc. Pretty sure i have GPS references if you get stuck.

Good birding on the beach/bush at the edge of the Caravan Park too.

HEMA Cape York map should do you. I don't know of any specific maps for Iron Range. There aren't many roads though.
We used a PDA/GPS with Ozi-Explorer and topo maps.

Hope that is of some help.
Cheers
Dave Stowe