birding-aus

Cyclonic Winds 9 June & Storm in Newcastle/Lake Macquarie

To: "Scot Mcphee" <>
Subject: Cyclonic Winds 9 June & Storm in Newcastle/Lake Macquarie
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 12:21:04 +1000 (EST)
Thanks Scot, I'm following the contingent narrative theory of causal
explanation to try and begin to engage with post-storm ecological
transformation and raise some questions at the very least about potential
short and long term implications for bird life!

So ... I reckon the different behaviour I'm observing in the Noisy Miners
might just as usefully be conceptualised as "re-calibration" of group and
territorial dynamics.  Now of course such processes are predictably
ongoing - under more everyday situations perhaps barely noticeable from a
human observer's perspective - but after significant broadscale ecological
events/incidents re-calibration practices (e.g. "suspension of
territorialism") are thrown sharply into view (and not just for human's
doing the looking: I imagine Goshawks must be finding it all too easy to
score a tasty, sweet Miner dislodged from the usual tight band formation).

It's just a theory.

cheers

Craig