birding-aus

Carbon-Neutral Birding

To: <>
Subject: Carbon-Neutral Birding
From: "Tim Murphy" <>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 13:04:55 +1000
I disagree that planting of a stand of trees, even though it would be
harvested in 50 years, might not be beneficial in sequestering CO2. In 50
years time, according to even the most optimistic model, we will be well
past Peak Oil, Peak Natural Gas and, in all probability, Peak Coal.
Mankind's emission of CO2 will be down in the 50% reduction goal of the
greenest of our politicians. This may be because renewable energy from the
Sun is providing it, or, more likely IMHO, we are simply doing without. We
might well need to wood to run our steam trains and the emission of the CO2
will be relatively harmless and might even be needed to fend off an Ice Age
(we are in an Interglacial period, remember).

Of course, one should remember two things:

There is no proof that CO2 emission has caused Global Warming - it is just
an inference that goes against Post Hoc Ergo Est Propter Hoc . Without
accepting State of Fear and The Great Global Warming Swindle as gospel, I
would like to know why Global Warming is 200 years old and massive CO2
emission a bare 50. (There were Ice Fairs on the Thames around 1800).

There is certainly no proof that even a massive reduction in CO2 emissions
now will reduce Global Warming. Australia's little bit would do nothing.

As for Carbon Trading, I have seen no indication that it would end up as a
corrupt boondoggle transferring money to those in power - it would probably
start that way. If it saved one molecule of CO2 it would probably be by
accident as a side effect of a Fat Cat's 1st Class travel produces just the
same amount of CO2  you and me in the tail - and a couple of us could not
afford to go.

Tim Murphy