birding-aus

Carbon-Neutral Birding

To: <>
Subject: Carbon-Neutral Birding
From: "Wendy" <>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 12:37:37 +1000
Just try working in Ecological Communities such as grasslands and
(relatively treeless) streams and wetlands. Most 'community grants' are
geared towards (tree) planting.
Locally landowners are encouraged and supported to plant trees. Not a bad
thing, except when it impacts negatively on EPBC species such as the
resident Growling Grass Frogs etc
(Probably also BIRDS such Quail, Plains Wanderer (if any survive around
here) larks, pipits, etc etc)

Wendy
Melbourne Basalt Plains (ex-Grasslands)

ps
it is a GREAT pleasure to cycle around the local streets at the moment and
enjoy the Rainbow and Musk Lorikeets, Red and Little Wattlebirds,
White-plumed Honeyeaters et al and countless invertebrates raucously
enjoying the flowering of mostly not local provenance E. leucoxylons (there
is a local form).
I must savour this before my local council staff manage to fell them all and
replace them with Olives (low fertility - they are environmentally aware)
and Prunus sp.