birding-aus

Macquarie Island - Urgent Attention needed.

To: <>
Subject: Macquarie Island - Urgent Attention needed.
From: "John Harris" <>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 15:40:14 +1000
Dear B-A's
This was brought to my attention last night at the BA VicGroup meeting.
 Please read the following and

Yours in all things "green"

Regards

John Harris
Secretary, Victorian Association for Environmental Education (VAEE)
Environmental Education Officer
Donvale Christian College
155 Tindals Rd Donvale 3111
0409 090 955

Please help WWF save Macquarie Island: urge the Tasmanian Premier to
help finalise the funding deal for the eradication plan.

To save Macquarie Island and its wildlife from a rabbit plague and
growing rat and mice problem, an eradication plan has been developed.
But it cannot start until it is fully funded. We continue to wait for
the Tasmanian and Australian governments to finalise the funding deal
for the plan. Meanwhile, albatross and penguins are being killed by
erosion and landslips, and petrels are being eaten by rats on this World
Heritage jewel.

The Federal government announced they had offered to fund $12.3
million, half the cost of the rabbit and rodent eradication plan for
Macquarie Island. It is urgent that the plan be fully funded as soon as
possible.

With your help, we can help convince the Tasmanian Government to agree
to make finalizing the funding deal with the Australian Government a
matter of urgency.

More information and a sample letter is available at:
www.wwf.org.au/act/takeaction/letter-macquarie-island-200703