birding-aus

FNQ trip report 27th April-4th May 2007

To: Birding-aus Aus <>
Subject: FNQ trip report 27th April-4th May 2007
From: David Stowe <>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2007 17:49:53 +1000
Hi all
back in the Sydney unfortunately, after a great week away in North Queensland. Photographed a wedding on Long Island in the Whitsundays then had 4 days in cairns visiting family and friends and trying to get as much birding done as possible in a short time (I have a very patient wife and 4 month old baby!!)

Long Island was really nice (5 minute sea plane flight west of Hamilton Island). Highlights were Bush Stone-curlews brazenly sharing the dining area! Sad to see tourists feeding them Prawn Chips from the buffet! Other nice birds were Black Butcherbird, Grey-tailed tattler, Helmeted Friarbird, Orange-footed Scrubfowl

Arriving in Cairns my birding was done at the following spots:
Esplanade
Cemetary
Michelmas Cay
Julatten area with Del Richards
Brief visit to Centenary Lakes

I think i mentioned most of the birds on the Esplanade and Michelmas Cay in an earlier email so i won't go into more detail.

A day out on Thursday with Del Richards (www.finefeathertours.com.au) was great. I had a few target birds that i was keen to see if possible - Chestnut-breasted Cuckoo, Rufous Owl, and male Golden Bowerbird (i had seen females previously). The day started with a search for the Cuckoo. After a couple of unsuccessful stops i was trying not to get my hopes up. Imagine my joy when we then found not one but 4 of these beautiful birds - one adult and 3 in an intermediate plumage which was not as intense in colour saturation. Whilst looking for these birds we saw Superb Fruit-Dove (female), Yellow-breasted Boatbill, Pied Monarch, Pale-yellow Robin, Double- eyed Fig Parrot (race macleayana) and Northern Fantail amongst others. Another highlight was an adult Buff-breasted Paradise Kingfisher! The latest adult that Del had seen. Next was a visit to a Golden Bowerbird bower which we sat patiently watching for 30minutes hoping to get some photos of a male. After staring at the bower for this long i was surprised when suddenly there was an amazing golden bird in the middle of it! The bird was remarkably tolerant of our presence and adjusted some lichen on it's display perch before sitting on a branch only a few metres from me before quietly disapperaing into the gloom. WOW! Up Mount Lewis we saw Mountain Thornbill, a lone Blue-faced Parrot- Finch, Yellow-throated Scrubwren, Emerald Dove, Spotted Catbird, Grey- headed Robin. A very quick stop at Kingfisher Park to say g'day to Keith and Lindsay proved beneficial with Papuan Frogmouth and Macleay's Honeyeater adding to the day's total. Next stop was the pub for dinner before heading out for my last target species - the Rufous Owl. I must admit that i was now convinced that our luck was going to continue and once again our first stop was unsuccessful. Next stop though we were in luck with a fantastic sight of an adult Rufous Owl soaring through the trees silhouetted against the full moon-lit sky! Awesome! A fantastic day with a great guide. No i don't get anything from this testimonial. Just a satisfied customer.

Our last morning before a lunchtime flight we decided to have a coffee at the Botanic Gardens in Cairns. To make the most of it from a birdwatching perspective we parked on the other side of Centenary Lakes and walked through. It was late morning and pretty hot so not much at all was about but the highlight was a Little Kingfisher only 5 metres away! Forest Kingfisher was also seen as well as our only White-throated Honeyeater for the trip. A great way to finish the week.

Altogether we saw about 115 species with 4 lifers. Not a bad trip at all!
Still no Lesser Sooty Owl though - it remains my bogey bird up there.

Full list for the trip below.

Cheers
Dave Stowe

Australian Brush Turkey