birding-aus

Torrumbarry Victoria: Brolgas and Sea-eagles.

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Torrumbarry Victoria: Brolgas and Sea-eagles.
From: Keith Stockwell <>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2007 20:55:10 +1000
Hi all,

Sometimes the best birding spots are private properties with a range of
habitats.

When leading a group of birders, I worry that participants may be
disappointed. Some Echuca birders chide me that to see under 50 species is
a failure. It doesn't matter how rare the birds observed are, 50 is the
goal. But it is hard to observe more than 50 here at this time of year, the
summer migrants having left and the region being drought-affected.

Today Peter Allan and I led a group of 31 birders on a BOCA outing to the
Torrumbarry area, northern Victoria.

First stop was a section of a dairy farm bordered by Gunbower Creek, a
tributary of the Murray. The owners have about 250 unirrigated acres which
is lightly grazed and regarded as a conservation paddock. Apart form the
most common local species (Magpie, Galah, Little Raven etc), some of the
species observed included Shelduck, Darter, Great Egret, Brown Goshawk,
Little Eagle, Peaceful Dove, Red-rumped Parrot, Azure Kingfisher, Brown
Tree-creeper, Weebill, Southern Whiteface, Red-capped Robin, Grey-crowned
Babbler, Pied Butcherbird, White-winged Chough, Diamond Firetail (nesting)
and Tree Martin. Strangely, no thornbills, no whistlers and no pardalotes.
We observed 46 species on the property.

46 species. Another few birds and the day could be declared a success.
Peter had to leave us to attend rehearsals for a stage show.

Lunch was at Torrumbarry Weir where we added a handful of species to take
the tally to over 50.

After lunch, we visited a private property on the inside of the
horseshoe-shaped Richardsons (Baillieu's) Lagoon. The owners have placed a
Trust for Nature covenant on their land. Parks Victoria has recently fenced
adjoining crown land. The property includes an orange grove, a sandhill
covered in indigenous vegetation plus part of the lagoon itself. We
commenced our visit by walking along a track traversing a sand hill. Then
we walked down to a dry section of the lagoon.

We saw nearly all the species observed on the dairy farm during the morning
plus lots of other birds. We observed a White-bellied Sea-eagle nest and
then spotted a pair of Sea-eagles. A Swamp Harrier flew overhead. Then we
heard Brolgas. A pair of Brolgas took off from the lagoon and disappeared
over a ridge. Those lagging in the rear saw the Brolgas return to the
lagoon.

Some of those near the rear observed Black-fronted and Red-kneed Dotterels.
We added Hardhead, White-necked Heron, Royal Spoonbill, Pied Currawong and
Eurasian Coot to our day list.

At last, someone heard Striated Pardalotes. But still no thornbills or
Whistlers. After walking the property for a few hours, someone spotted a
Golden Whistler. But still no thornbills.

Everyone enjoyed birding on the property so much that it was close to dusk
before we thanked the owners and had bird call. 59 species on this
property. 75 species for the day, Terrific. Still no thornbills. And only
one species of honeyeater.

The owner claimed that Powerful Owls, Barking Owls and Bush Stone Curlews
live on the property. What a wonderful block to live on!

Tomorrow's outing is to the Barmah-Millewa forest. And on Tuesday we head
north-west toward Barham. I hope we can add Emu,thornbills,Superb Parrot
and some honeyeaters to our list. I guess a challenge now is to top 100.

Keith Stockwell
Moama