birding-aus

Glossy Black-Cockatoo observations - NSW Central Coast

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Glossy Black-Cockatoo observations - NSW Central Coast
From: Charles Hunter <>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 08:47:54 +1000 (EST)
Hi all,

  Some amazing Glossy Black sightings on the weekend (28th April, 2007) around
Pearl Beach on the NSW central coast.

  The sun came out on Saturday afternoon and the birds loved it. 11 Glossy
Blacks where seen in casuarinas at the entrance of the Pearl Beach to Patonga
fire trail walk (Brisbane Water National Park). Generally in pairs there was a
mixture of male / female and a couple of juveniles. We could hear even more
calling in the distance but only 11 were sighted.

  The casuarinas pods that littered the floor underneath were green, soft
(after the rain) and fresh. The birds were all feasting, it was rather chaotic.

  On the way back walking along the road we felt we were being attacked by a
male and a female as they swooped in front of us. The male landing first about
3-4 metres away taking a drink from a large puddle. Following soon after the
female, with a casuarinas pod in mouth, landed close to the male. An amazing
birding experience.

  A few poor quality photo's were taken (due to poor light). Happy to send to
anyone that is interested.

  Regards,
  Charles Hunter
  Paddington, NSW