birding-aus

Common Noddy at Flat Rock Ballina NSW

Subject: Common Noddy at Flat Rock Ballina NSW
From: Graeme Fraser <>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 21:04:29 +1000
This morning I saw two common noddy at sea off Flat Rock. They were mixed up with common, crested and little terns which all appeared to be feeding on small bait fish about 50m offshore. I got good views of one of the birds which looked like it might land on the Rock until a Brahminy kite and some jet skiers put it in a pincer movement. As this bird approached I could see the two-tone upperwing and just the faintest hint of a white forehead. I suspect this bird may have been a juvenile. These were probably the same birds that took off just as I began to scan the resting terns on the Rock last Wednesday. On Wednesday they flew south to Black Head and spent at least half an hour fishing behind the breakers there. Also on Wednesday there was a single non-breeding 'commic' tern that had long white tail streamers resting on Flat Rock. It did not appear this morning during the three hours I spent waiting for its return.

graeme