birding-aus

magpies singing for their food

Subject: magpies singing for their food
From: Penny Brockman <>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 21:47:30 +1000
I have 3 Magpies that visit daily, and have frequently seen them warbling. One will stop foraging on the grass, stand with head and beak raised and warble away quietly. It's never an aggressive sound, but when they were younger, it was much quieter. One of the trio has a damaged wing and has in the past few months been ostracised by the other two (all are male), and has taken to making very pathetic calls from a light pole or a tree, as if saying "I'm lonely, they don't love me any more". A short falling series of connected notes (woo, woo), but the other two pay no attention and send him off if he gets too close or tries to have a bath when they are using the birdbath. He waits in the back ground and runs forward to jump into the water when they have finished. Beastly behaviour, I say!