birding-aus

Paradise Parrot

To: <>
Subject: Paradise Parrot
From: "John & Ruth Walter" <>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 11:06:29 +1000
The recent Wingspan Vol. 17 No. 1 has an article about John Gilbert. Gilbert collected a Paradise Parrot between Tummaville and Yandilla. These localities were early stations on the Darling Downs SEQ. In present times they exist as localities and properties on a smaller scale. To have collected a Paradise Parrot between Tummavile, which is on the west bank of the Condamine and Yandilla, which is between the east bank of the Condamine and west of the Condamine North Branch puts the location squarely on the Condamine River flood plain. My question to Penny Olsen editor of wingspan was "were Paradise Parrots nomadic and only appeared in our area (I live at Pittsworth about 20km away from Yandilla) in the non breeding season, which is well documented much further north?". My reason for suggesting this is the present day lack of any termite mounds on the flood plain. Penny asks "is this because modern farming methods has ploughed them out?". There is perhaps suitable harder country further south and west of the river which may have had big enough termite mounds for use by nesting birds. But my impression is that termite mounds are really in short supply in this part of Qld. But I hasten to add - until about 30 years ago most farming families played tennis and they all had 'Ant bed' courts. The ant bed must have come from somewhere not too far away. Possibly west of the river.

Any comments from the brains trust on Birding-aus

Thanks John
Pittsworth SEQ