birding-aus

Mimicry by Lyrebird

To: <>
Subject: Mimicry by Lyrebird
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 00:40:56 +1000
Hi Shane,

As Carol suggested (I agree with her) what you describe fits very well with one
of the Lyrebird's own main calls, which varies geographically but is
recognisable pretty much throughout the range of the species. What a lot of
people don't realise is that the mimicry component is a relatively unimportant
to male lyrebird communication. It is fill in sound that the bird uses to show
off its abilities (that is probably its main importance) and make noise until
the important thing happens and that is an interesting lady lyrebird arrives.
It then (but not only then) indulges in proper lyrebird calls and that is the
part that (presumably) means something. And yes I'm generalising.

Philip