birding-aus

Mimicking 'peregrinatic' birders

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Mimicking 'peregrinatic' birders
From: "Robert Inglis" <>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 17:49:47 +1000
Hi all,

I thought I would mimic (if that is the correct word, Philip) some of the
birders who contribute to
this group by going on a trip through
parts of Australia looking for birds to observe and photograph.
The parts of Australia I am thinking about are, specifically, Gluepot Station
and, incidentally,
south-east Australia.

I was wondering if late April to early May would be a reasonably sensible time
to travel to and
through those areas?

I heard a rumour that there are some birds in Victoria. Is there any truth in
that rumour?
And would it be worthwhile (birdwatching wise; obviously not km wise) going home via the Princes Highway/Great Ocean Road?

To give a clue as to what I am after, here is a short list of birds I would
really like to see:

Fairy Tern
Superb Parrot
Yellow and Adelaide forms of Crimson Rosella
Elegant Parrot
Scarlet-chested Parrot
Mallee Emu-wren
Striated Grasswren
Rufous Bristlebird
Slender-billed Thornbill
Black-eared Miner
Red-lored Whistler
Little Raven
Common Skylark
European Greenfinch

Of course, some of those are wishful thinking but I would be interested in
other species as well.

Would anyone be willing to comment on the chances of seeing the listed species
and locations where
they may be found within the area described above?
I will abide by any requests for confidentiality.

Please contact me directly at

Cheers

Bob Inglis
Sandstone Point