birding-aus

Thick-knees and names, yet again

To: "Peter Ewin" <>, <>
Subject: Thick-knees and names, yet again
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2007 13:43:42 +1000
Interestingly Peter wrote:

"Two other species of African distribution are respectively called:
Water Dikkop (B. vermiculatus)
Spotted Dikkop (B. capensis)
The South Africans know how to allocate a great name."

That is true but a little amusing. I'd almost bet that "Dikkop" means literally
"Thick Head", which is funny in itself, that two parts of the bird are called
thick. As such it is the same as the early name for our Whistlers (and still
the same as literally Pachycephala). We could almost go in endless circles and
connect Stone-curlews with our whistling voiced passerines.

Sorry my earlier message went out twice, once before I had finished my typing
and punctuation on it.

Philip