birding-aus

NSW - Sea watch from Maroubra - 6th April 2007

To: <>
Subject: NSW - Sea watch from Maroubra - 6th April 2007
From: "Edwin Vella" <>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 19:29:19 +1000
Today, 6th April 2007, I enjoyed a good 3 hour sea watch from Magic Pt at
Maroubra (approx. 10km south of Sydney CBD). Winds were initially moderate
southerlies (with frequent rainfall) then turning gusty south-easterly later
in the morning and showers clearing with winds up to 30 knots.

This morning's highlights included one or more Great-winged Petrels, a great
view of a Wandering Albatross (appearing to be the smaller race Gibsoni), a
good view and fairly close Shy Albatross, at least one Sooty and good
numbers of Short-tailed Shearwaters for this time of year as well as a nice
Arctic Jaeger in summer plumage with full tail projections. I observed 4
other Arctic Jaegers and most of these were seen harassing a group of Silver
Gulls hanging about the base of the cliff. The Pomarine's and Long-tailed
Jaegers have probably all left by now (I did see both last weekend, the
former off Soldiers Pt in Central Coast and one of the later species very
close to Nobby's head at Newcastle).

It is interesting how Wandering Albatrosses have been seen almost all year
from Maroubra. About this time last year we had both Yellow-nosed and
Black-browed Albatrosses from Magic Pt but none of either of these 2 species
were seen this morning.

The first two hours produced no Wedge-tailed Shearwaters and less than half
a dozen Short-tailed Shearwaters but numbers picked up from then on till the
time I left around noon. The numbers of Australasian Gannets were however
constant during my sea watch.

My list of sea birds recorded for the 3 hours and approximate numbers is as
follows:

Fairy Penguin (heard)

Shy Albatross (1)

Wandering Albatross (1 - most likely race Gibsoni)

Great-winged Petrel (at least one)

Wedge-tailed Shearwater (50)

Short-tailed Shearwater (60)

Sooty Shearwater (1-2)

Australasian Gannet (100)

Little Black Cormorant (3)

Arctic Jaeger (5)

Kelp Gull (1 juv.)

Silver Gull (100)

Crested Tern (20)

Not a bad list for April and for a 3 hour sea watch!

Edwin Vella