birding-aus

RFI Swift & Needletail Observations

To: Baus <>
Subject: RFI Swift & Needletail Observations
From: Michael Tarburton <>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 18:05:30 +1000
G'day B'Ausers

Two observers in north NSW & Qld have commented when sending me records in the last day or two, that they wonder if the birds seen in the last few days were likely to be the last they would see this season. The birds were flying northwards so were possibly on migration. However, they do not have to be the last ones and probably will not be as I saw three groups yesterday in Bunyip SF just east of Melbourne. These were feeding so these are going to pass over some of you when they do head northwards. If they do that in daylight hours and you see them I would ask that you let me know how many and the date please.

In some years the last observations that are published are from Victoria or even Tassie: so there is the challenge to see who will see and where the last birds will be seen.

Again a number of observers are commenting that the numbers are still declining. This trend was shown to have been happening between the two atlases so has been going in that direction for a while.

So happy swift and needletail watching

Cheers

Mike Tarburton