birding-aus

RE: FIJI trip

To: "McGowan, John" <>, Baus Aus <>
Subject: RE: FIJI trip
From: David Stowe <>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 13:34:46 +1000
Hi John
It was a year ago but same time of year that my wife and i went to FIji for a wedding at The Warwick resort on the Coral Coast. We saw some nice birds in the grounds of the resort including Collared Lory, Jungle Mynah, Red-vented Bulbul, Vanikoro Broadbill, Orange-breasted Myzomela, Wattled Honeyeater. Saw most of them on the road side of the resort buildings rather than near the beach (except Lory and HE which were above our heads at the pool! Always difficult to have bins and an SLR with 300mm lens beside a pool full of under- dressed tourists!)

We went for a drive east towards Suva we saw more on the sides of the road. White-collared Kingfisher, Fiji Woodswallow, Red Avadavat, Fiji Parrotfinch, Fiji White-eye. Could have spent ages just walking along rather than driving except we were on our way to Suva.

We also went to Colo-i-Suva (spelling??) Forest Park just north of Suva which was also great. Not sure how safe Suva is at the moment. Even when we went to the Park we went on a "guided" walk through the bush with a ranger. Although when we got back to the carpark, the other ranger that was watching our cars (!) turned out to be a great birder and showed us more birds near the carpark than we had seen on our hour in the rainforest. Best birds there were Golden Dove (gorgeous - has to be seen to be believed), Barking Pigeon, Slaty Monarch, Scarlet Robin, Golden Whistler, Blue-crested Broadbill. Nearby he took us to the edge of the forest where there was an orchard where we saw Masked Shining Parrot and Streaked fantail.

All in all not many birds in total but enjoyable nonetheless. If i can find the name of the ranger that was really helpful I will let you know. We did give him a good "tip" for his time as it was after he had finished his shift that he was able to take us around and spent more than an hour with us. Really nice guy.

Hope that is helpful.
Cheers
Dave Stowe

www.davidstowe.com.au