birding-aus

RE: Thornbill Identification Website

To: "Baus" <>
Subject: RE: Thornbill Identification Website
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 18:22:16 +1000
Hi All,

Thornbill Identification is often an area that troubles a lot of birders
(old and new), so I've decided to create a page on my website with photos
that best illustrate the key characteristics of each species, and listed
the key features of each species down the side. Hopefully this can become
a useful resource for anyone wishing to put an ID on a thornbill sighting
or photograph.

The following species are covered:

Brown Thornbill, Acanthiza pusilla
Inland Thornbill, Acanthiza apicalis
Tasmanian Thornbill, Acanthiza ewingii
Chestnut-rumped Thornbill, Acanthiza uropygialis
Buff-rumped Thornbill, Acanthiza reguloides
Slender-billed Thornbill, Acanthiza iredalei
Yellow-rumped Thornbill, Acanthiza chrysorrhoa
Yellow Thornbill, Acanthiza nana
Striated Thornbill, Acanthiza lineata
Weebill, Smicrornis brevirostris     ( yes..i know.. not an acanthiza..but
often confused)

To access the page go to:

http://www.peterfuller.com.au/   then click --> Feature Galleries -->
Australian Thornbill Identification

Or directly using the following link:

http://www.peterfuller.com.au/galleries/thornbills/thornbills.html

I'm interested to hear any feedback on my classification system. I've
split them into three groups based on eye colour. Other people have
previously listed dark-eyed and white-eyed groups of Thornbills,, but i've
also included a third group called "Flush-eyed Thornbills"  - Thornbills
whose eyes are not as dark or clear as the others. It seems to be fairly
appropriate but i've noted that certain species have been classified
differently by others.

Please let me know if you think this works, and if the features are
accurate (I know colour perception will differ amongst us all)

Cheers,

Peter