birding-aus

W. A. Birding Hot Spot

Subject: W. A. Birding Hot Spot
From: "colin judkins" <>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 12:32:02 +1000
G,day all,

I have just returned from a short trip to the South West of Western
Australia. I stayed one night at the Cheynes Beach Caravan Park which is
approx 70 ks East of Albany, and had some brialliant birding whilst there.
I arrived at 4pm and by 8am the next morning had seen the following endemics
plus a heap of other great birds. (I'm not sure what the collective noun for
a lot of good birds is but a heap will do for now.)
All were seen in or within a radious of roughly 800 mts. of the park.

WESTERN WHIPBIRD               WESTERN BRISTLEBIRD                NOISY
SCRUB-BIRD
WESTERN ROSELLA                 WESTERN WATTLEBIRD               WESTERN
SPINEBILL
WHITE BREASTED ROBIN         RED EARED FIRETAIL                    RED
WINGED FAIRY-WREN
RED CAPPED PARROT              SHORT BILLED BLACK COCKATOO

On arrival at the park i made enquiries of what birds had been seen lately
and the owner immediately produced a folder with all the recent sightings
and maps of just where they were seen.
She also proudly stated that only that morning she had seen the Noisy
Scub-bird just out side the office window where we presently stood. This
raised my excitement and anticipation off the Reichter Scale (Again i'm not
sure how we rate our excitement for new birds, but what ever it is i'd just
gone off it !)
Sensational birding was had at this park and is a must visit for all birders
looking for rare and sometimes difficult to see endemics or just want to get
in some great birding. (And no i'm not a share holder either).
This caravan and camping park would have to compare with Kingfisher Park at
Jullatten in North Queensland.
What are other great parks for a great birding holiday, whether on a brief
visit or a longer stay?

Regards to all from Big Col.