birding-aus

Binoculars

To: "Colin R" <>
Subject: Binoculars
From: "Alistair McKeough" <>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 17:14:18 +1000
Colin and potential Nikon purchasers. From 1959 Nikon was imported and
serviced in Australia through Maxwell, but that association has ended and
Nikon Australia Pty Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of Nikon Corporation
now handles all the servicing.

My experience (with camera equipment) of obtaining spare parts under the new
regime is very positive. They're cheap, easy to get in touch with, and will
search old equipment to find parts that aren't made anymore.

As for bins, I have a pair of Nikon Monarch 8x36 ($400 landed in Australia
from www.binoculars.com) which are fantastic, reasonably compact and
waterproof. However, I have yet to look through better bins than my
Swarovski 8.5x42 EL. Don't look at the "super-bins" unless you've got a few
grand to spend.

And remember: the best bins are the ones focussed on that bird you've been
dieing to catch up with.

Alistair