birding-aus

Mission Beach North Qld

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Mission Beach North Qld
From: "Alan's Wildlife Tours" <>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 10:14:42 +1000
Greetings,
This time last week Maria and I were lazing at Cottonwood Rainforest Retreat at Mission Beach. It is very nice accommodation, set back from the beach but with good views and being higher it catches the sea breezes so the aircon was not used at all. see http://www.missionbeachaccom.com/accommodation/cottonwood.html

Apart from giving a lecture on Green Ringtail Possums and assisting with a revegetation planting on the next morning, the object of the time was to veg out. Still one cannot help birding.
At Cottonwood I remember seeing and or hearing:-
Orange-Footed Scrub Fowl
Grey Goshawk
Masked Lapwing
Masked Lapwing
White-headed Pigeon
Spotted Turtle-Dove
Brown Cuckoo-Dove
Emerald Dove
Peaceful Dove
Bar-shouldered Dove
Pied Imperial-Pigeon
Sulphur-crested Cockatoo
Rainbow Lorikeet
Double-eyed Fig-Parrot
White-rumped Swiflet
Laughing Kookaburra
Forest Kingfisher
Rainbow Bee-Eater
Dollarbird
Large-Billed Scrubwren
Brown Gerygone
Helmeted Friarbird
Macleay's Honeyeater
Brown Honeyeater
Dusky Honeyeater
Chowchilla
Golden Whistler
Black-faced Monarch
Willie Wagtail
Spangled Drongo
White-bellied Cuckoo-Shrike
Varied Triller
Yellow Oriole
Figbird
White-breasted Woodswallow
Black Butcherbird
Yellow-bellied Sunbird
Silvereye
Welcome Swallow
Metallic Starling

Nearby were:-
Southern Cassowary
Bush Hen
Sacred Kingfisher
Eastern Whipbird
Richard's Pipit
Common Myna
and a probable Chestnut-breasted Cuckoo heard
The Chestnut-breasted Cuckoo was heard by some one with a better ear than me who had seen and heard one at the site of the tree planting in the week before.

We did not go for a beach walk as the tide was very high but we did take a lazy stroll through Licuala National Park where it was evident that the Cassowaries were eating Celerywood and palm fruits as that was all we could see in their scats.

Regards,
Alan Gillanders

Alan's Wildlife Tours
2 Mather Road