birding-aus

Re "Native Australian budgerigars are blue incolour"

To: "Andrew Hobbs" <>
Subject: Re "Native Australian budgerigars are blue incolour"
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 18:11:53 +1100
Hi Andrew,

Sure, it is a little semantic though. Do I need to elaborate? The point I was
making is that there was not a NEW chemical or physiological process created
that produces a new type of pigment. Although in other cases this could occur
and obviously does in the long term. Yes in the case of new colour in domestic
budgies, it results in a different colour, but not because of adding another
process, just removing a process from the mix.

I don't know anything about the problem over Biston betularia, or of the
"appalling non-scientific methodology". I know it is an often quoted example
and I know the story well but only in that context.

Philip