birding-aus

Banded Pelican

To: <>
Subject: Banded Pelican
From: "Paul Hackett" <>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 17:07:54 +1100
Hi all,

Yesterday I spotted a juvenile female Pelican at Patterson Lakes,
(southern suburb of Melbourne) with a yellow tag on its upper
back/shoulder area and a metal band on one leg. The number on the tag
was visible without binoculars although I noticed some smaller print so
I had a closer look. I was surprised when I read Adelaide Zoo. I rang
Adelaide Zoo to report the sighting and they seemed equally surprised to
hear that it was in Melbourne. The bird appeared to be very young to me.
I was aware that Pelicans travel huge distances although not at such a
young age.

Please check all Pelicans for the tags, very easily spotted, especially
when flying,

Cheers, Paul

Paul Hackett
Melbourne, Australia