birding-aus

Dollarbird in Tasmania

To: Andrew Silcocks <>
Subject: Dollarbird in Tasmania
From: Ian May <>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 19:30:09 +1100
Hello Andrew

Thank you for your message and your interesting info of historical records. We revisited the site this afternoon quickly locating the bird again and observing it for about 1 hour. It seems to prefer a 200 metre stretch of river bank adjacent to the road flying away each time a car passes but soon returns. Got some poor digiscoped images and the bill shows some red that is not so easily visible using binoculars. I have taken the libeerty of Cc your information to birding-aus.

Thanks again

Regards

Ian May

Andrew Silcocks wrote:

Hi Ian,

I was forwarded your email about your exciting discovery of a Dollarbird at Scamander (I don't subscribe to Birding Aus).

I work on the New Atlas Project and have checked our databases for other Tasmanian records. We don't have any from the new atlas period (1998-2007), but I found a record in the historical atlas. The reference was from Tasmanian Birds by Michael Sharland. He documents a record of a bird shot by G Hinsby near Crotty, on the west coast in 1918. He also mentions an unconfirmed report of another on the north-west coast some six years previously.

So, it would appear that your record is the first for almost 90 years in Tasmania - a great record, well done!

Regards,
Andrew Silcocks