birding-aus

Number of birdwatchers in Australia

To: michael norris <>
Subject: Number of birdwatchers in Australia
From: Paul Jacobson <>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 22:28:36 +1100
I suspect we are observing Pom's displaying their characteristic 'trainspotter' behaviour.

I couldn't resist appending a bite from wikipedia; exchange railway references for birding references and the description is quite uncanny.

cheers
Paul

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railfan
Trainspotting

Railfans who are "trainspotters" make an effort to spot every piece of rolling stock known to exist for a particular railroad company. To this end, they collect and exchange detailed information about the movements of locomotives and other equipment on the railway network, and become very knowledgeable about its operations.

The equipment of a trainspotter consists, generally, of a data book listing all the locomotives or other equipment in question, in which locomotives seen are ticked off; a notebook and pens, to note down sightings to transfer into the book at leisure; and an infinite supply of patience. In the UK, this aspect of the hobby was given a large boost by the publication of the Ian Allan "ABC" series of booklets from the 1940s onwards. Today, some trainspotters will use a tape recorder instead of the notebook. Modern times have seen the addition of the cellphone and/or pager as an aid to communication with others in the hobby, while various internet mailing lists and web sites allow for exchange of information. There are also websites which allow spotters to record and cross reference their sightings with other spotters. Railfans can maintain private computerized databases of spotting records as well.