birding-aus

Whistling Kite behaviour

To: Philip Veerman <>
Subject: Whistling Kite behaviour
From: Penny Brockman <>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 17:23:44 +1100
Black Kites have also been seen dropping burning embers to increase the spread of bush fires. I haven't seen this but it's been reported several times by others.
Hi Jon,

Wow, that is a big suggestion and certainly an interesting idea. Would be fascinating if it was true and it might be but I think I would need to see it or read that someone observed the kites having "purposely dragged the carrion onto the rail so that further nutrition could be released from the crushed bones and flesh once the train had cleared", rather than that the animal was simply killed by that train or some prior train and they were waiting for an opportunity to feed on it. Crows somewhere in Asia have learned to do this with nuts / cars / roads. Crows however are smart birds, yet many odd things are possible.
Philip