birding-aus

(the last word) John Young and his Parrots

To: "Ian May" <>
Subject: (the last word) John Young and his Parrots
From: "Dave Torr" <>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 19:11:43 +1100

Strong words indeed - whilst I am sure SOME attacks on John may have dubious
motives, the fact remains that he has made a claim that is of interest to
all birders and so far the evidence has not been forthcoming,

Consider if I go to Tassie and come back and say I have discovered the
Tasmanian Tiger. As evidence I offer one photo which an expert reckons is
doctored. Should the world take me seriously? Whilst reputation is important
(my claim would be taken less seriously than John's as I do not have his
profile) the scientific world - rightly - requires degrees of proof. Luckily
the days of shooting new species seem to be gone, but it will require some
further evidence before many birders are convinced. Whether that evidence is
provided is up to John of course, but the claim will quietly disapper soon
if no further details are provided.