birding-aus

Emus swim Murray River at Barmah

To: Keith Stockwell <>
Subject: Emus swim Murray River at Barmah
From: Trevor Hampel <>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 22:22:17 +1030

Keith Stockwell wrote:
Hi all,

Last Sunday, 18th February, a skipper of the MV Kingfisher (John), and his
passengers, observed an emu swimming across The Narrows ('Barmah Choke') of
the Murray River in the Barmah-Millewa Forest.

A few months ago, the boat's owner/skipper (Benita), observed a male emu
and several chicks swim across The Narrows.

There are many emus in the forest.

Keith Stockwell,
Moama (southern Riverina NSW)

Several years ago we observed two emus swimming across the Glenelg river near Nelson in the far SW of Victoria. We were on a river cruise boat at the time and the captain commented to the passengers that in over 25 years of conducting three or four cruises per week he had never seen this before.

I reported this incident on Birding-Aus at the time and several people replied to say that this was relatively common along the River Murray and elsewhere.

--
Trevor Hampel
Murray Bridge

Check out my BLOGS (web logs):