birding-aus

DNA based lumps, splits and IDs

To: "Frank Rheindt" <>, birding-aus <>
Subject: DNA based lumps, splits and IDs
From: "Dave Torr" <>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 18:43:55 +1100
Thanks Frank - that is very clear. So the publicity is about as justified as
(say) a new fig parrot is?

Seriously I have always had doubts (as a non biologist) about some of this
DNA stuff - I attempted to read one paper and the author seemed to be saying
that if the difference in the small part of the DNA he had studied was more
than "x" % then he would declare the beasts to be separate species. The
choice of "x" seemed totally arbitrary.

Still - I guess as long as taxonomists can generate new ways of looking at
the world we will never be short of the need to buy new bird books and
update our "life lists"