birding-aus

DNA based lumps, splits and IDs

Subject: DNA based lumps, splits and IDs
From: "Frank Rheindt" <>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 08:26:28 +0100
David (and others),

trying to keep it short:

1.) These DNA barcode people are just looking at one single gene (COI), which happens to be one out of three dozen genes on the mitochondrion (a tiny cell organelle). In the nucleus of each cell, there are millions and millions more genes, many of which are responsible for the appearance of an organism. So it all depends on what you really want to do: If you were looking at a gene that codes for the colour of a duck's wing speculum, you bet there would be huge differences between Blue-winged and Cinnamon Teal. However, phylogeneticists try to look at neutral genes that don't have anything to do with what an organism looks like, to avoid circularity.

2.) Barcoding is a nice tool to detect "suspects" for splitting/lumping, but in most cases more phylogenetic work will be necessary to corroborate the split/lump. For example, let's take the case of those "species with identical DNA": First of all, never say they have identical DNA, but say something along the lines of "...they have an identical sequence in their COI gene..." (which is less than a millionth of their total DNA). Secondly, the reason for having an identical COI sequence could be manifold, and could involve things such as ancient hybridization events (during which one species' COI gene "invaded" that of the other) - this is called mitochondrial introgression and is fairly common in birds. So those species can still be viable and valid species despite that finding! (A similar case in Australian birds involves White-browed and Masked Woodswallows, which have identical mitochondrial DNA).

Bottomline: DNA barcoding is a nice tool to whet our appetites, but in each case, a split or lump requires subsequent follow-up studies to corroborate the case.

Cheers
Frank