birding-aus

Re: Birding blooper

To: "Bill Stent" <>
Subject: Re: Birding blooper
From: John Tongue <>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 08:58:28 +1000
We've been taken in by plastic decoy ducks on a number of dams around the country!!

John & Shirley Tongue
Hobart

On Thursday, February 22, 2007, at 07:32  AM, Bill Stent wrote:

Confession time, is it?

I was with my family visiting South East Queensland a couple of years
back, and we were on our way to dinner with Sue and Terry Pacey (ooh,
namedropper!). Passing the MacDonald's at the river crossing just south of Labrador I noticed something on the roof, perched in amongst a number
of white ibis.  I just had to check it out.  It was raining, but using
my binoculars I could make out a definite owl of some description.  I
dropped Jan and Emma at the caravan park where we were staying and made
my way back on foot. I carefully crept up to the building, somewhat out of sight of the customers, and my suspicions were confirmed. A definite
owl - but with horns!  Sensation!

However, after a short reality check I decided that what I was looking
at was not a first for Australia, and neither was it an exquisitely
carved banana peel, but rather a plastic owl.  What it was doing there
is anyone's guess - if it was put there to keep the ibis away it was
having no effect.

It's probably still there.

Bill