birding-aus

BA and BOCA - the BOCA view

Subject: BA and BOCA - the BOCA view
From: "Dave Torr" <>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 10:55:05 +1100
The Bird Observers Club of Australia (BOCA) recently celebrated its
centenary as an organisation which both caters for members' birding
interests and actively works for the conservation of Australia's birds and
their habitat. Our aims are specified on our web site
(http://www.birdobservers.org.au/AboutUs_OurAims.asp
<http://www.birdobservers.org.au/AboutUs_OurAims.asp+>) - in short, our
focus is on Conservation, Education and helping birders to appreciate
Australian birds in their natural environment.

BOCA national office is in Melbourne and we have seventeen branches and
twenty affiliated groups mainly in eastern Australia. Our branch network is
our greatest strength both in providing for members interests and in
carrying out vital local conservation work, both practical and advocacy.

We employ an education officer and a conservation officer backed up by a
dedicated team of volunteers.

We have been actively involved with many bird survey works, including the
Westernport Wader Survey and regular surveys at Yellingbo, Pinkerton and in
south-east Queensland. We have recently started a monitoring program for
some of the Melbourne Water wetlands in the east of Melbourne.

Our branches focus on practical activities both for birding and conservation
- our April calendar has more than 70 birding outings and meetings, and that
excludes the practical work of conservation that many of our branches are
involved in. In addition there are many longer trips organised for members
throughout the year.

Membership of BOCA entitles our members to participate in all our activities
and meetings and to receive a high quality magazine 6 times a year. It also
provides valuable support for the wider work of the organisation. We have a
well stocked shop and members can get discounts on books, CDs (we have
recently published a 10 CD set of Australian birdcalls, reviewed in The Age
last weekend) and optical equipment.

We also own a property that is managed for conservation and are actively
involved with conservation plans for other properties.

In short we are a well rounded organisation with a focus on birding
activities. BOCA and Birds Australia have recently signed a MoU and we see
ourselves being involved in an increasing number of joint activities whilst
maintaining a separate identity that focuses on our members needs.

Richard Hunter

CEO