birding-aus

Cairns and Atherton Tablelands

To: "Graham Turner" <>, "Baus" <>
Subject: Cairns and Atherton Tablelands
From: "Alan Gillanders" <>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 15:30:54 +1000
Graham,
It has been an interesting season. Some birds bred early, Honeyeaters and non-migratory Monarchs, some had almost no display period, Riflebirds and Golden Bowerbirds, some bred late, Banded Rails, and some bred multiple times, Emerald Doves.

There are no species missing from the forests but the numbers of the large pigeons are still lower than normal up here on the Tablelands. There is a lot of fruit about at the moment but it will be years before the normal pattern is established. Trees without small branches do not flower or fruit very well as a whole. In many places the birds are easier to see even if their total numbers are reduced.

Mammals are breeding well but some have lost significant numbers. Again it is possible to see further into the forest so this counters the effect for the visitor. Tree-kangaroos are being seen more often along Petersen Creek in Yungaburra than on my nocturnal tours at the moment. During the day they are sitting high in the trees but at night feeding low on vines.

I am quite happy for people to contact me for up to date information whether they want a guide or not.
Regards,
Alan Gillanders

Alan's Wildlife Tours
2 Mather Road